Monday 20 February 2012

Banana cake-ness


Once again, a great weekend was had!

Saturday morning consisted of baking a banana cake, and roasting some pumpkin. I also attempted to make a quinoa salad, but leaving the quinoa to cook on the stove whilst I got distracted by Z-monster wasn’t a great idea. It got burnt…

Z-monster came over and we hung out, which was lovely as usual. Then over to L-whacks where we enjoyed a leisurely walk, and watched a couple of episodes of Modern Family – that show is hilarious!

Sunday morning I dragged myself out of bed and went to the gym (although got caught up in traffic thanks to the filming of The Block - boo).

L-whack and I then headed to his cousins engagement party at a pub in Brighton. It was a lovely day, but I must admit that I did stop via Safeway to pick up an apple later in the day (I had a couple of spring rolls at the party, but they aren’t exactly filling!) to get me through to dinner.

A tasty pastie and salad, followed by some Whittaker’s dark almond chocolate, and grapes - my tummy was full!

The banana cake was one that I’ve had a couple of times when L-whack’s mum baked it. It’s really tasty, and as I had some banana’s to use up I decided to give the recipe a go. I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it vegan, and I added a little cocoa to make it chocolatey yum!

Banana cake

Now I will admit that I didn’t read the recipe properly. I missed that there was 2 kinds of flour in there, so I accidently omitted the plain flour (hence the slightly squashed look). But the cake turned out tasty and pretty well anyway. It was very moist and flavoursome still, but next time I will include that ½ cup of plain flour! I want to credit the creator of the recipe, but all I know it’s called Victoria’s Banana Cake – it comes from a photocopied page that has been handed around.

Banana Cake
125g nuttelex
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg replacer
Generous splash of vanilla
3 bananas, mashed
1½ cup wholemeal SR flour
½ cup plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup soy milk
2 tbsp. cocoa

1. Cream together nuttelex and sugar until creamy and pale.
2. Add egg replacer and beat until well combined. Stir in banana.
3. In a separate cup, dissolve the baking soda in the soy milk and add vanilla.
4. Add 1/3 of milk mixture and 1/3 of flour, and mix well. Add 1/3 of milk and 1/3 of flour, and mix well. Add final 1/3 of milk and final 1/3 of flour and mix well.
5. Sift cocoa into cake mixture and stir.
6. Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin, and place in preheated oven (180°c) and bake for approximately 50mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment