Tuesday 25 September 2012

Cheesecake heaven

Prior to becoming vegan, I didn’t really eat much cheesecake. I had a cheese allergy, but I would occasionally indulge in a piece on a special occasion.

My mum used to make cheesecake’s for the local café, who would serve them and sell them (we’re talking a looooong time ago, before food/hygiene laws changed!) so I knew she likes cheesecake (and she was well known for making yummy ones!). So with her birthday approaching, I started looking into what to make her for the celebration!!

I knew I wanted to make her a vegan cake (that was a no brainer!) but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go safe vegan (easy chocolate cake) or ‘scary’ vegan (cheesecake).

I settled on scary vegan.

**cue scary music**

I decided to make Vegie Head’s Better than Reece’s Peanut Butter ‘Cheesecake’ – knowing it was a VH recipe, I was in safe hands and it was less scary.

Getting the ingredients proved to be a bit more of a nightmare than I thought! I already had most of them, but I needed some Tofutti cream cheese, vegan biscuits, more agave syrup and silken tofu (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!).

I went to 3 supermarkets to get the 4 ingredients!! By the time I got to the last supermarket, I was ready to have a small breakdown. But I guess if these places are sold out, it means there are people out there buying vegan products, so that’s a win!!

I set out making the cheesecake, making one helluva mess along the way!!

I’m not going to post the recipe, because you can find it in Vegie Heads e-book, a genuine bargain at only $7 for almost 30 delicious recipes!!

I brought the cheesecake out of the fridge, stuck a candle in it, we all sang happy birthday then served it up. At this point, no one was any the wiser. I waited until everyone had enjoyed a mouthful, before I gleefully announced – it’s made of tofu!!! L-whack looked a little freaked out initially, but then dug back into his piece (we’re both very sceptical of tofu)!

Sorry about the lack of focus...

This ‘cheesecake’ is so rich, creamy and delectable – and oh so easy. You could even just serve the filling as a mousse or something.

I absolutely cannot wait to make this again, and freak out some more unsuspecting people – who knew tofu could taste so freaking good?!!

Thank you Miss Vegie Head for your inspiring, delicious and non-scary recipe. You helped mum’s birthday to be a great one xx

No comments:

Post a Comment